Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Facebook and MySpace

I read an article yesterday on the CNN web page about a group on Facebook that worries me. This group encourages women to post pictures and videos of themselves when they are inebriated and, many times, in not-safe situations. When I viewed the group closer (yes, I have a Facebook account - I'm not that old), I came across pictures of high school students. For fear of seeing a picture of one of my students, I stopped viewing the page. But I can't stop thinking about what I saw.

Please consider the following:

1. The web is PUBLIC. IF you post to a public page (and most Facebook and MySpace groups are public), ANYONE can view the information. Before you post, please think: what would my parents think? my grandparents? my employer? my children? There are sites that archive everything on the Internet. Don't think that just because you erased something it can no longer be viewed.

2. Employers and Colleges are on Facebook and MySpace. They read your postings. Indeed, they can - and do - Google your name. I have read about students who are not getting into college because of their postings. It is not an urban legend. Refer to #1 - it is PUBLIC.

3. There are predators on Facebook and MySpace. We say this over and over again. Protect yourself. Do not give detailed personal information. Set your pages to private. Do not add friends just because they sent you a request.

4. Our student handbook (pages 39-43, 48, 81-83) outlines that cyber-bullying is punishable. We know that there are and have been groups that target other students. Again, refer to #1 - it is PUBLIC and ARCHIVED. If we see it, we are obligated to pursue it.

So you have/want a Facebook/MySpace page and want to make sure you are safe with the information you post.

1. Do NOT put identifying information in a public place. This includes your last name, address, phone number, IM, and/or email address.

2. Before you join a group or post anything, consider what someone who does not know you would think if they saw the information, particularly a college admissions counselor or an employer.

3. Read what people post on your wall/comment spaces/bulletins frequently. Remove offensive and/or questionable items. Ask the sender to stop posting them. If they don't, remove them from your list of friends. A lot is gleaned from looking at your associates.

4. Consider the pictures that you let people take of you. Would you want everyone on the planet to see it? If not, don't be in the picture.

5. Think before you hit "send" for a text message, IM, or email message. This information is easily posted by other people.

If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask. I understand the draw to social networking sites, and enjoy them. There are safe ways to participate, and I can't help you make these decisions.

No comments: