Friday, April 25, 2008

Senioritis: An Open Letter

Dear Parents and Seniors,

Yes, the end of the year is near. Very near. In fact, I only have the opportunity to see you in our hallowed halls for 19 more days. While this fact makes me quite sad, I am certain that you do not feel the same. Indeed, seniors, you are excited and anxious and counting down the days (I see the signs posted in our halls). Parents, you are excited and anxious and counting down the days. While I see similar emotions and actions from both of you, I do not think they are being caused for the same reasons. Thus, I wish to address this open letter to you about "senioritis."

I have addressed this topic in the past. I hear about it daily from students and parents and faculty and staff. Do I feel it is important? Yes. Do I think it is real? Well, that depends.

Yes, seniors, you have spent almost 13 years working diligently towards the completion of your guaranteed education. I applaud you for your tenacity and dedication, and am so proud f all of you. But is this really the end of your education? Does a magical switch move to the off position on May 23?

Parents, I know you have worked very, very hard to get to this point, as well. The support and time and love and nurturing you provide is more important that anything I can do for your students. You have built the foundation for their futures; I have only had the pleasure to help decorate or mend a fence here and there. And I am grateful that you have granted me the permission to help you in this process.

This is just the beginning of your learning. I know you hear this over and over again, but I feel the need to say it again - this was the easy part. In school, you have the wonderful support of so many people and access to so many resources. In the "real world," this is not always the case. Many of you will continue your formal education and not see a change in this pattern. Some of you will see a difference when you enter another educational facility. And others who choose to directly enter the workforce may experience both scenarios.

What I wish for all of you is that you learned how to learn. This is the constant in all of our futures. Many times it will not seem as concrete and forward and directed as what you have experienced at Perry. Learning takes so many forms - you may not even know it is occurring. Once you leave our halls, the responsibility for learning shifts completely to you, students.

Thus, senioritis. Yes, the "end" of your education at Perry is near. But it is not over. And many, many seniors are acting as if it is. I implore all of you to consider your thought process. Your final grades and final exams will figure into your credits and grade point averages and, in many case, will impact whether or not you earn your diploma. And the reasoning I hear daily is, "Oh, I have senioritis."

To return to an earlier question, do I think senioritis is real? Well, that depends. It is very real to those of you who are experiencing a sudden decline in your performance, and who will use the word to support your action (or inaction, as it may be). Is it a diagnosis that can be given by a medical or mental health professional? No. Is it something that I will mention in conversations? Yes. Is it an excuse that I will, well, excuse? No.

Parents and seniors, please do not fall into this habit. As your many signs attest, we only share 19 more days of academics. Do not let your habits risk your diploma.

If you need assistance, please see your counselor. We can help. Or talk to a teacher or administrator. We have all witnessed how the end of the senior year seems to change our students' motivation. We have resources that can help. I do not want this process to become a habit that will be difficult to break in the future.

Again, I am so proud of all of you, and I am excited to shake your hand as you walk across the stage on June 1.

Wishing you the very best,
Mrs. Hoyt

Web resources:
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1191831,00.html
http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2001/02/03/loc_senioritis_can_cheat.html
http://www.collegeboard.com/student/apply/the-application/8626.html

No comments: